Information for Seniors
COLLEGE APPLICATION DEADLINES
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN-rolling admission
CLEMSON-December 1 (priority deadline) CALHOUN HONORS-December 8
COASTAL CAROLINA-December 1 (priority deadline)
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON-November 1 (early notification) February 1 (regular notification)
FRANCIS MARION-rolling admission
FURMAN-Common App Nov 1 (early decision-binding) Nov 1 (early notification) Jan 15 (regular)
GEORGIA-October 15 (early notification) January 15 (regular)
GREENVILLE TECH-rolling admission
DWD COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS
KEEP THIS INFO PAGE HANDY...YOU WILL NEED THIS INFO!!! NOT FOLLOWING THESE STEPS WILL DELAY YOUR TRANSCRIPTS AND APPLICATION INFO.
- FIRST STEP-Once you apply to a college, please come by the Guidance Office and notify Mrs. Cole. There is an initial senior info packet including a personal info page and transcript release form that must be filled out before transcripts are mailed. We are NOT automatically notified when online applications are submitted so the most important part of the process is letting us know that your application has been submitted.
- Official transcripts are $5. Envelopes should be addressed for each school you are applying to. No postage is required. The postage cost is covered with your $5 transcript fee. Also, there are no additional fees at the end of the year when final transcripts are mailed as long as an initial transcript has been previously submitted.
- We send transcripts out in the order they are received. Please allow sufficient time for transcripts to be processed and mailed. Be aware of application deadlines!!
- Some colleges require supplemental counselor forms and other forms to be submitted in addition to the high school transcript. We have all of the required counselor forms printed for all SC colleges & universities so there is no need to print and bring these to our office. If you are applying to a school outside of South Carolina, please check to see if there are any additional forms that will need to be mailed together with your transcript for your chosen school.
- Many schools outside of SC (also a few in SC) use Common Application. Common Application is an online application database that may be used for many colleges/universities throughout the United States. Schools that use Common Application in South Carolina include Furman, Wofford & Presbyterian College. If you apply to a school which uses Common Application, please let Mrs. Cole know this when you are requesting official transcripts. For schools using Common Application, there is a counselor recommendation form that must be printed from your account and brought to us to be included with your transcript. Transcripts will not be sent without the required counselor form which must be provided by the student (student specific). Make sure to list David Rhyne as the counselor recommender and not another DWD staff member.
- We send HARD COPIES of transcripts with HARD COPIES of required counselor recommendation forms TOGETHER in one envelope. This minimizes the risk of items being misplaced or incomplete. WE DO NOT SEND ONLINE TRANSCRIPTS OR ONLINE COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION FORMS.
- If you are applying to a school out-of-state that does not use the Common Application, please check to see if there is a counselor form that must be submitted in addition to the transcript or your application file may remain incomplete at the school where you are applying.
- We document when all transcripts are mailed and will email you with a confirmation when the information is sent provided that you listed a valid email address on your contact information. The typical turnaround for a complete application file and transcript send-off is 24-48 hours.
- Do not trust mass generated emails from colleges saying that your application is not complete. Many times these websites are not updated frequently and the transcripts are sitting in the admissions offices waiting to be processed. Always call and talk to a live admissions representative when you have a question about the status of your application at a college or university.
- Clemson Calhoun Honors College applicants are required to submit an additional online application. Please notify Mrs. Cole IN PERSON if you are applying for the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson because there is an additional online counselor form that must be submitted.
- If you are asking a teacher to write a recommendation letter for you, please give the teacher ample time to complete the recommendation. If you are requesting a recommendation in hard copy format, please have them forward it to the Guidance Office to be included with your application information. You should NOT request that the teacher return the recommendation letter directly to you. Some teachers may choose to submit recommendations online to your school if that is an available option for them.
- If you would like to have any additional information included with your transcript, we can hold your transcript until the information is received or we can go ahead and mail a transcript for you. You will need to specify how you would like to handle extra items or supplemental information.
- PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF COLLEGE APPLICATION MATERIALS IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE WITHOUT SPEAKING TO MRS. COLE OR MR. RHYNE. Mrs. Cole is the first contact person for all college application or transcript questions. Mrs. Cole is in the Guidance Office from 7:30am-2:30pm
Additional Important Reminders……..
- SAT/ACT Fee waivers are available for students on free/reduced lunch.
- Please make sure your high school graduation requirements are covered.
- Please make sure that you review the admissions requirements for the school you would like to attend as these can vary from school to school.
- Please come by and see Mr. Rhyne or Mrs. Cole anytime with any questions or concerns.
- Email me if you need to… firstname.lastname@example.org